Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Moved You, and sometimes ambiguous


Concepts students found moving in some way from the first Chapter of Helguera's book.
Up at Siena, as my class and I enter our fourth week, students are engaged and impressing me everyday as they offer thoughtful responses and ask on target questions.  We have had our first guest, spoken word poet and artist Daniel Summerhill. And, I am learning to squeeze in everything I can in our one-hour class segments.
I have created a dropbox folder with lots of materials I am using in the course   And now you can have access to this info too. So far I have added pdfs of the first 3 chapters of Pablo Helguera’s book: Education for Socially Engaged Art (please buy his book by clicking here.)  There are questions, slide presentations, notes and links to learn more about various artists and related movements. I will add to this folder as the semester proceeds.
For our next meeting at the Chatham Public Library on Wednesday, February 17th 6:00-7:45pm, we will start to look at chapter 2 of the book and look at artists I have loosely categorized under “useful art,” to borrow from a term Tania Bruguera uses to talk about her work.  Other artists we will look at include:  Rick Lowe, LAPD (Los Angeles Poverty Department,) Suzanne Lacy, Michael Rakowitz, and PepĆ³n Osorio.

No comments:

Post a Comment